Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Pope, Rainy Days, and Cannoli's

Last Saturday was one of the many rainy days we've had in Rome since we got here. I believe it's going to be a nicer week. (Well, in comparison to NY right now, any day here in Rome is nice.)

The day was originally going to be spent by visiting the Pyramid. Yes, a pyramid in Rome. However, since it was raining, we decided to make it a study day.


We walked with our umbrellas already opened and braved the rain and headed down my favorite street, Via del Corso, in search of highlighters (haha, since ours are already dried up). We walked 'til we got to Via dei Greci where we found the oldest english bookshop in Rome, The Lion Bookshop. It was such a relief to walk into this quaint little bookshop. It was quiet and for once, everything I looked at was in english. I picked up a Dublin travel guide in the sale section, which is this little backroom with books piled up all against the wall. Camay found 'The Color Purple' and finished the last few pages of it since she didn't get the chance to back home. We sat in the little kid table and just read our books as the rain poured outside. Then, as we were getting up and beginning to walk around once more, they began to play The Tings Tings and James Morrison. It was really good to hear the soft hum of their songs playing while I left the store. It was definitely refreshing because I felt like I was back home in the States.


After, we headed to the metro and went to the metro stop Colosseo to study in a cafe that was suggested to us. When we got out of the metro, the huge colosseum unraveled itself from the rainy skies. I couldn't get over the fact that I was in front of the Colosseum. I had seen this structure in textbooks, travel channel, and on the internet since I was younger. I'm actually checking stuff off my life-goals checklist! Anyways, it's crazy how I was standing in front of ancient history. I saw "Roman" Guards in full get-up, yelling 'Photo!'. Then it began to pour like crazy. They scurried along the circle with us, one of them yelling 'Hey' to Camay and went to find cover. Even though it was still raining, the sun was out! This made for great pictures. But, it was also very windy. My umbrella is retarded and I'm probably going to have to buy one soon, but it flipped backwards in the wind and Camay wouldn't help me until she got a picture! It turned out to be my FAVORITE picture in Rome so far. We went to Cafe Cafe, ordered some frutella and desserts, and studied in low lights and to soft jazz music playing in the background. It was so relaxing. We stayed there all afternoon and then headed back to the Colosseum to get some pictures during the night time.


Then, we headed back to Lepanto, the metro stop near our campus, and went in search for a new retaurant that took TicketRestaurant, which is what the school has given us instead of meals. They are tickets that restaurants and tavola calda's (hot plate restaurants) accept. After a long and tiring search, we settled for this scottish pub that we saw had the sticker on the door. We walked in and were seated by the TV where everyone was watching the soccer game. Hah, we're in a scottish pub where romans are watching a soccer game eating hamburger and fries. Oh, Italy. So we ordered our pasta and our drinks and waited. Funny enough, our drinks came before the meal. And when I mean drinks, I mean Camay's drink called 'Grappa' and my drink called 'Limoncello'. Her's was about 80-100 proof while mine was sweet but wayyy too strong. Not too long after, we got our pasta and ate our fill. I had about 5 small sips of my drink and handed it to Camay. Way too strong for me. So, she mixed hers and mine and actually finished it. So, if you're ever in Rome, and want to try some drinks only found in Italy, try Limoncello and Grappa, you'll have a grand 'ol time.


The next day, we went to the Vatican for mass. Another check off my life-goal's list. We went through security and escaped inside to this beautiful basilica that I just couldn't get over. Everywhere I go, I am truly astounded at the detail and preservation of such buildings. I was late to mass, so there were no more seats available, but I happily stood and kneeled on the ground with no complaints. Just being able to attend mass in St. Peter's Basilica was enough for me. I was overcome with emotion as I walked in line and joined the hundreds of Romans and other pilgrims to receive the bread. As I got closer and closer to the altar and the huge orant statues atop it, I just couldn't believe how I was there. I'm a Roman Catholic in Rome celebrating a Catholic mass. I can't believe how blessed I am.


After Mass, we went into the piazza and low and behold...The Pope was at his window talking to the crowd in all different languages. He had many people cheering for him, whom I lovingly called, 'Pope groupies'. They waved signs and had pompoms and cheered every chance they could. He released 2 white doves at the end. It was very surreal. I didn't get to see the Pope while in NY, so wow, I got to see him in The Vatican. I'm also going to be a part of the Papal Audience next week, I'm so excited. We then went to go buy some souvenirs and I adored the fake/stolen Gucci's, Prada's, and Fendi's that were being sold on the sidewalk (literally, on the floor). That is, until the sellers grabbed them and ducked when the police car whizzed past. At least in chinatown there were stores! Camay made dinner (an amazing pasta with breaded chicken) and we slept.


Monday, monday, monday! Monday was our first on-site visit in our City of Rome art class. We went to Circo Massimo, the Palatine Hill, The Roman Forum, and finally, inside the Colosseum. Circo Massimo is the remains of an actual circus. The Palatine Hill is where Rome was founded by Romolus and from the Domus' (rich people houses) atop the hill, there were still remains of the marble on the walls and beautiful marble flooring. The Roman Forum was wonderful! It was strange stepping through the remains of what was the center of Rome before. The colosseum was breathtaking. I couldn't believe I was there! We watched Gladiator in class the previous week, so seeing it in real life was crazy! We tooks tons of wild and fun pictures in the Colosseum.


We headed to Pastarito near the campus and had calzones, which, once again, beat any calzone I've ever had. It would have been a really nice late lunch except for the fact that a bum man-handled me! Ugh, so we were sitting there about to pay, and he comes out of nowhere and begins speaking to me in Italian. I really didn't know what he was saying or what to say to him but then he grabs my chin (AH!) and then points to my wallet. 'Oh, he wants money.' Since none of the workers in the restaurant were doing anything about the situation except standing and watching, I gave him a euro and he pinched my cheek and patted my back. I was very shaken and completely annoyed. I was losing euros left and right (well, not literally, but laundry isn't exactly free). Then, to end the night, I got my food stamps (TicketRestaurant) and had 2 cannoli's. I don't think I've ever tasted something so delectible in my life! It was a great way to finish a long day.


I've already written a lot, so I'll write about Tuesday, today, everything else in another entry. So here's some pictures.














2 comments:

Kita St. Cyr said...

Ohmigawsh Len~ Everything about this trip makes me jealous lol

I can't believe you saw the pope at the Vatican. Even I can appreciate how cool that is, and I'm not Catholic.

The pictures are so cute :D

Bankiss Fabric said...

hey len its nancy.... idk how to follow you on this .. so follow me and ill follow urs!